[Mg-t] XPAG ignition timing instability

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 14:23:54 MST 2013

Hi Friends,

My '53 TD's XPAG has unstable ignition timing. Its the kind of
instability caused by worn distributor bits (advance mechanism,
bushings, etc.). Static timing is set to TDC but it bounces around
quite a lot at idle. My TR3 had exactly the same problem and a new
distributor made it rock solid - the timing AND the idle.

Is there a distributor rebuild service that you recommend? Moss has a
replacement for $470 but its an upgrade, not a one-for-one
replacement. I don't want to go there AND I don't have the skills or
tools to rebuild my distributor.

Please help.

-rick