[Mg-t] Re. Engine mounting

Rick Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 05:58:36 MDT 2013

Thanks Glenn, et al.,

I have a nice ceiling- mounted electric hoist so moving the engine around is no problem. B I can easily change from front mount to rear mount to workbench. B Your advice is really appreciated in that (and all) regard(s).

What I really was fishing for with my initial post was to learn whether there was a problem with using any particular mounting point (e.g. potential of breaking an ear off the casting, or something.) B I just didn't state my question well. B One kind list-member advised to use caution when positioning on the workbench to avoid bending the dipstick tube, as it's difficult to repair.

Sounds like the rebuild job is straight forward except for fitting the pistons from below the deck. B One guy recommended fitting the pistons sans rings, from below of course, then pushing them up mostly above the deck, fitting the rings, then back in with a conventional ring compressor. B Sounds like an obvious if reasonable plan. B

I love engine building; everything from clean-up, to measurements, to final assembly. B Its precision work and right down my nerdy alley. I've just about had my fill of scraping dirt and grease from the frame! :-P

I hope to hear from two shops today; the chrome shop with a quote, and the radiator shop. B

The chrome work I requested is just the radiator shell and cap plus the headlight pods. B They're 'acceptable' as-is, but against new paint, I'm afraid they will look shabby. B The other chrome is probably beyond saving.

I took the TD radiator to the shop just to get it boiled out and clean. B There was no evidence of leaks and the system was full of fresh-looking coolant when I took it apart. B All should be fine once cleaned. B

I also took to the shop, my friend's radiator from the Elan he's restoring. B Its getting a new core. B I rebuilt the Elan's Lotus-Ford Twincam engine earlier this year. B Its ready of go back in if Jack ever gets the frame prepped.B

Off to the garage...

-rick
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII - the rectangle with rounded corners, just like a BlackBerry.