[Mg-t] Hub-A-Dub-A

gunnellj tds.net gunnellj at tds.net
Sat Nov 26 20:26:55 MST 2011

Gang

   I'm back at work on the 1950 MG TD "hot rod" and I've been told that I
did a no-no by taking out the short screws that hold the front brake drum
and hub together. I found out the reason they were so hard to remove is
that they weren't made to come apart and the factory had peened them over
on the inside.

   To tell you the trutch, I don't know how I could have "restored" the
drums if I didn't take the hubs off. Both parts needed a good bath and nw
paint and all that. I used some old Eastwood brake caliper paint that I've
had forver and they look gorgeous. The paint is a cast iron color and even
though it was really old, it went on very nice.

   So now what do I do? I suppose there is no way to get those short, kind
of fat, beveled and slotted screws, especially if they have a British
standard tread. Does ANYONE know of a direct replacement? How about rivets?
Will they work? I suppose I could just freakin' weld them together, too.
After all, it's a hot rod.

   Anyone have a Ford V8-60 flathead engine to trade for an MG TD engine?

--
"Gunner"

John Gunnell
PO Box 87
Iola, WI 54945
Ph: 715 445 4262
Cell: 715 281 5925

Please visit Gunner's Great Garage
Restoration Shop - Automotive Book Shop - and Art Gallery
at the corner of Highway 110 and E6110 Fuhs Road in Manawa, WI
Shop: 920-596-2273
www.gunnersgreatgarage.com

Check my blog Gunner's Garage at www.oldcarsweekly.com