[Mg-t] dual brake system

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Wed Apr 21 08:55:32 MDT 2010

Doug,
  Though I made the change to silicone fluid for my TD years ago, I would not
do it again.
  When first installed, I found that it leaked at the wheel cylinders whereas
the old fluid did not leak. Rebuilding the wheel cylinders with new rubbers
solved the leaking, for then.
  Though silicone fluid does not absorb water, water does still condense in
the system thanks to the vented cap on the master cylinder. It then gets
pumped around and ends up as globs of water at the wheel cylinders. If they
are not regularly bled out, the water corrodes the wheel cylinders.  One
should bleed the system annually, just enough to get clear, clean fluid at the
wheels.
  When it does leak, it ruins the brake shoes. If there is just a bit of DOT 3
or 4 on the shoes, it can be scrubbed out, but the silicone fluid is in the
shoes to stay.
  Although I was enthusiastic about it initially, that enthusiasm has  waned.
Bob