[Mg-t] TD Steering Rack

Larry Shoer LarryShoer at comcast.net
Thu Nov 26 08:57:04 MST 2009

Bob,

I believe you are recommending oil, not grease, be used in the tach
reduction gearbox.  It is hard for me to believe oil would remain in the
gearbox, given its original design, but rather quickly weep out through
the flat seating surfaces of the two halves of the gearbox case.

I rebuilt my tach reduction gearbox a number of years ago using a
procedure described by Blake Urban (and written up in TSO).  After
sealing the mating surfaces of the case, grease is carefully pumped in
through the grease fitting to essentially fill the compartment.  After
that, little attention is required for years.

When my TD came to me the steering rack was filled with grease.  The
rubber boots needed replacement.  I did not see a need to remove the
grease, but loaded the rack with oil.  Grease and oil will mix and
sufficient oil was injected to reach the boots on either end.  (The
grease weeped from the rack for a couple of weeks.)

Larry