[Mg-t] Abingdon, 1931

David Lodge emmgeeteecee at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 8 22:30:16 MST 2009

Hello Doug,
Well, er........no!.  I remember going on a school trip to Birmingham and
Coventry in 58 or 59, and one of the highlights for me (apart from the
Cadbury's chocolate factory) was the Standard/Triumph factory, and the
assembly lines churning out Vanguard IIIs and TR 3As were absolutely
unrecognisable to those of Abingdon in the clip.  In fact, to my young and
untutored eyes it may as well have been the set of a science fiction film: all
gleaming metal and bustle.As anyone who lived through it will be glad to tell
you, the demise of the British car industry has much more to do with political
interference - from the left and right; in government and out - than outdated
manufacturing processes.   Ironic that the late leader of the Trades Union
Congress has recently been exposed as a Soviet plant.  Obvious to anyone on
the outside!
Regards, Lodge

--- On Sun, 8/11/09, Douglas Ormrod <Douglas.Ormrod at neurological.org.nz>