[Mg-t] Axle story

Mike Eldred redscirocco at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 21 19:23:20 MDT 2008

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my email a few weeks ago
regarding what I thought was a broken axle in my '54 TF 1250:  >I had just
completed a left turn onto a hill.  At the bottom of the hill just as I
started to accelerate, it felt like the clutch slipped, then >nothing.  No
power at all.   Looking under the car, I could see that, when in gear, the
driveshaft turns - so power goes into the >differential, but no power comes
out.>What do you think?  I'm actually hoping it's an axle and not something
more expensive and involved.>Anyone know what's involved in swapping a broken
axle out? It was indeed a broken axle - the left rear axle.  Several listers
answered with help and advice - and warned me away from aftermarket imported
half-shafts of questionable quality.  Sara Dahl hooked me up with Mick Conde,
who sells half-shafts that he's had machined, meeting or exceeding original
specifications.  Mick also had two NOS half-shafts, and on his advice I bought
those (for a nice price, by the way - less than the 'new' lower-quality axles
Moss and Abingdon sell).  I would definitely recommend Mick Conde, not only
for his reasonably priced parts, but for his willingness to share his
considerable knowledge. I was unable to get the axle nut off, however, even
with the help of several 'secret' tricks people were kind enough to share with
me.  I even broke a breaker bar on it.  Finally, I got tired of goofing around
with it myself and took it to a local mechanic that I trust with my classics.
His air impact wrench was apparently much better than mine (which is going to
be replaced post haste) and he was able to get the nut off.  He withdrew the
axle to find that it was broken near the differential.  But it wasn't really a
problem, since I had decided to replace both axles anyway, he removed the
other half-shaft and drove out the broken piece with a rod.  Looking at the
broken axle (which my father had replaced many years ago), it appeared to have
been a bad casting.  I was surprised, it had a 'made in W. Germany' sticker on
it.  The mechanic flushed everything out, reassembled the rear end with the
NOS half-shafts, new bearings, and new oil seals.   I didn't expect it, but
the car rides better than ever.  Handles better.  Feels tighter.  Brakes
better.  I don't know why, exactly, but I'm not complaining.The list is an
incredibly helpful tool. Thanks to all.

Happy motoring, -Mike Eldred,Wilmington, VT'54 MG TF'51 Willys M38 Jeep'86 VW
Scirocco