[Mg-t] leaking carbs

Raj Thadani rthadani at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 1 21:05:52 MDT 2008

Herb,

I had the same problem once in my TD and it turned out that the float had a
leak in it and it had fuel in it making it heavy and preventing the float from
floating.  I detected this by taking the float out and shaking it.  I heard a
"sloshing" sound.  The problem was solved once I replaced the float.

Raj
1952 MG TD MK II

> From: peter-thiel at sbcglobal.net> To: hstrachman at yahoo.com;
mg-t at autox.team.net> Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:49:43 -0400> Subject: Re: [Mg-t]
leaking carbs> > Hi Herb,> > You don't mention what car you're dealing with,
but Blair is correct, > it's probably dirt or corrosion in the needle and seat
assembly. But it > could be the float isn't floating. If you're sure the fuel
is coming from > the overflow pipe(s), the next two suggestions can be
skipped. Perhaps the > banjo bolt is not tight on the feed line. I've also had
the cover bolt of > the float bowl loosen up and then the gasket doesn't
seal.> Fuel overflow happens to my '53 TD often when it sits a while. When I >
turn the key off and on a few times, this often stops the flow, as the pump >
is turned off and on at the same time. Otherwise I raise the hood (bonnet), >
and with the key on, tap the offending float bowl with the handle of a >
screwdriver and the flow stops almost immediately. (I have an airy barn that >
the smell of gas doesn't bother me if it gets around. If you're in a garage >
attached to the house, you may think differently.) When the car starts, the >
vibration usually stops the flow also.> As far as Grose Jets, here we go
again. This has been discussed here > several times with plenty of votes pro
and con. Personally, I find the stock > needle and seat work just fine, and
grose jets are just as prone to the > overflow problem, or maybe more so.> >
Best, Pete Thiel> 1953 MG TD> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "herb
strachman" <hstrachman at yahoo.com>> To: "MG" <Mg-t at autox.team.net>> Sent:
Monday, September 01, 2008 3:30 PM> Subject: [Mg-t] leaking carbs> > > > Hi,>
>> > When I turn on my ignition switch I have gasoline flowing from the> >
carburetors over flow pipes. This happens without starting the car. Any> >
suggestions.> >> > Thanks,> >> > Herb> >