[Mg-t] Model question

rfeibusch1 at earthlink.net rfeibusch1 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 10:23:26 MST 2008

-----Original Message-----
>From: Gene Fodor <crownwheel at surfglobal.net>
>
>Listers, do anyone of you know where I can get a model of a 1953 MGTD.?
>
>Cheers
>
>Gene
>***********************************
Gene,

There are very few models of the TD and I had most of them when I had mine..

None are available today except on eBay

o  Dopke made a huge kit in metal in the early 1950s (about 1/12th scale) with working suspension and steering - very good - I restored one to match my real TD - sold it many years ago for $285!!

Matchbox did one in HO scale - I have one - A British train accessory firm reprod them in the 1970s as white metal kits and these still might be available.

o  MY FIRST MODEL!! Revell made a really great model in 1/32nd scale in the early 1950s and these were re-issued many times - the Japanese somehow got the molds (marketed here as Mini Craft) and did a reissue of the whole line (TD, XK120, Ferrari Barchetta, and Ford hot rod) all in one box.  Only demerit was that you had to paint the chrome parts so they never looked shiny enough....

o  Aurora Models also did a 1/32nd kit that was so out of proportion that I could have fasioned a Jag SS100 out of it - reissued a bunch of times but who cares???

o  Abingdon Classics in the UK made them in 1/43rd scale in both built-up and kit form - I still have my maroon factory made example - REALLY, REALLY nice.

o  Ideal Toy Co. made a crude plastic kit approximation with working rack and pinion steering in about 1956 - very educational - they forgot to include the rear mounted spare!

o  Wills Finecast (now called Southeast Finecast) made a very detailed white metal kit 1n 1/24th scale - Moss Motors even used to list them in their catalog - Might still even be available.

Rick Feibusch
Venice, CA