[Mg-mmm] Inlet Manifold needed for a PA/PB

Roger Garnett rwgarnett at gmail.com
Sat May 26 08:36:56 MDT 2018

Don't give up on the old manifold yet! If a spare can't be readily found,
the cast iron manifold can be repaired. Welding cast can be tricky, but
it's doable. The main thing is that the part needs to be heated and cooled
gradually. While brazing or welding with nickle rod is possible - brazing
may be a better choice for a manifold.

Either find a good farm welding shop, or for the do-it-your-self-er - there
are numerous instructions and videos on the web. Here's a nice run through
the process: http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=68.0

I'm not a great welder, but have done a couple manifolds along the way. I
once tack welded a friends Jeep CJ manifold in place on the car with an arc
welder & nickle rod- running the engine was good for pre-heating! The
result was bit sloppy due to lack of prep & clean, but it held.

I also brazed a intake/exhaust manifold for a 1940 International T6
bulldozer which had sat in a field for years - the manifold had gotten full
of water and was partly shattered from freezing. First, joining surfaces
were cleaned to allow bonding. Using an oxy-acetylene torch, it was heated
and sections brazed in place with flux coated rod & extra flux. Cool it
gradually while peening welds lightly with a hammer to relieve stress.  -
keep it partly warm with the torch,  stick in an oven while slowly lowering
the temp, bury in sand, etc.. Heating and cooling too quickly can result in
new cracks forming.

Getting the T6 engine unfrozen and running was another story - but
eventually it was up and running to grade the ground for my first workshop.
No guarantees, but the results can last for years - depending on the
condition of the part and the work.

Roger