[Mg-mmm] J2 gas tank coating

bill at clovermachine.com bill at clovermachine.com
Wed May 23 12:58:44 MDT 2018

Sara, Roger, Dan, Gary and MG Tommm

Thank you for suggestions on my J's tank sealer.

My memory is slowly trickling back to me. I *think* I had the tank
coated within a year of the same time as I had my TC tank coated ~mid
1980's. The coating appears the same in both tanks. The TC I pulled
the internal strainer a few months ago and it was clean and the
drained gasoline did not have any goo or weird stuff apparent.

Radiator (coating) shop still in business but different owner and I
was not so good at keeping records back then.

I will just use the J2 tank and keep an eye on it. I intend on
painting the J myself and if the tank eventually needs major work I
will just repaint it afterward.

In California the 'strip / de rust shops' have been shut by the
environmental folks; at least here in the SF Bay area counties.

J2 3343 was a 'delux' model'. The gas tank has a large Bonora filler
like the smaller radiator filler caps. The tank threaded mount (2.75"
diameter) appears factory fitted. Any others out there?

Dan, your engine question...J2 3343's engine was run for the first
time last year; first time since 1968 when the PO dismantled the J
for restoration.

Bill Traill