[Mg-mmm] a J2 story

taterry at aol.com taterry at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 17:59:35 MDT 2011

>From my friend Fred Loeser has been restoring his J2 for 53 years and I
thought 12 years was a long time on my NA0613!!
Here is part of his story:

53 Years and counting. J2 3006

With the certain knowledge that someone will wonder how anyone can nurse a
project this long and maintain the absolute assurance that it would not only
be finished but a credit to the make and despite the fact that he didn't have
the slightest idea of what he was getting into,only that whatever was done was
to bring the car back to "original".
It all started in the summer of 1958 while visiting friends whose neighbor
invited me to inspect his latest project. It was a rather tired looking
roadster that I recognized as some sort of an MG but not anything like the T
series that were popular at the time and into which he had stuffed a Ford V8
60 engine and transmission. I can't remember if he ever drove it or just
decided life was too precious but he offered it to me ,engine and all for
$500.
Within a month I had the engine out and started going through the remaining
bits.
A friend put me in touch with the local MG owners club which in turn led to
joining the Triple M Society and corresponding to members in England. My
intent in restoring the car was reinforced by the help and encouragment I
received from some really fine people who wanted nothing more than the
satisfaction of being able to assist.
Among them was the late Mike Hawke, Steve Dear from Bristol, D.G.E.Taylor from
Brigg,Lincolnshire and especially Stuart Lightbody who at the time was a
London cop and used a J2 for everyday transportation. Not the least of these
is Editor Sanders who informed me that J2 3006 competed in the 1933 Monte
Carlo Rally. Incentive indeed.
With the help of people like Mike Dowley of Sports and Vintage, Joe Curto,the
SU guy who I've gone to recently the pieces are starting to fall together-now
if only the budget cooperates I'll be able to collect some bets.

Terry...do whatever you want with this. I'm hoping to arouse some questions I
can answer in later notes.   Thanks   Fred