[Mg-mmm] ignition switch re-visited

Lew Palmer lpalmer at roundaboutmanor.com
Thu Aug 11 11:30:10 MDT 2011

The following is a comment from Tom Metcalf who knows as much about Triple-M
authenticity as anyone I know. And even he isn't completely sure:
============
You're right about the window but I didn't delve into that one because of
typical variations. I use black Lucas 4 position on J's (OFF D S H) and
brown Rotax on P/N's with same markings. I do think MAYBE some were
summer/winter or low/high, but truthfully I really think those were TA era.
PLC 2 sounds right without looking it up.

But basically, I think the 2 positions of OFF D allowed the dynamo to either
be OFF or ON, whereas the TA charging system allowed a LOW and HIGH charge.

No expert but that's my take based on what I've seen.

Also, why would MG use Lucas on earlier cars, and Rotax on later P's and
N's? Best guess is Lucas ended up with tons of brown Rotax PLC's after Rotax
and CAVwere consumed by Lucas, hence ending up with that kool little 3 spoke
steering wheel looking logo for the combined companies.