[Mg-mmm] Water in the sump

Bob Grunau grunau.garage at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 17 13:05:21 MDT 2009

I too am familiar with the unfortunate water in oil problem on NA-0686. The
previous owner had the engine rebuilt at great expense. The original block
had been frost damaged way back in the UK and then repair welded. Who knows
how well the weld was done. Then the engine had a VERY expensive rebuild by
an infamous big high dollar shop in Mass. They bored the block so
essentially there was no original block wall left in the cylinders ( I have
photos to prove this ).  Then installed sleeves.  Sleeves leaked water into
the oil almost immediately around the lower joint to block face. A Mickey
Mouse attempt was made to seal off the leaking sleeves using some gook ( JB
Weld ? ) slathered on the underside of the block in the sleeve area. Not
successful.
 I bought the car knowing it needed serious block and engine work. I
immediately decided to buy a new reproduction block from the UK and it was
delivered yesterday. Block is all drilled and tapped and looks good. Now all
we have to do is install all the parts into the new block.
I also, decided having gone this far, to buy a new Phoenix crankshaft looks
really good. The original crank had been used in the expensive bad rebuild.

I would pressure test the water system and see where the water is leaking.
If the sleeves are leaking, or the block was repair welded, maybe time for a
new block.

It is possible for the water pump seal to allow water to leak into the sump.
Hopefully that is your problem.

I would pull the sump before pulling the head. Then pressurize the cooling
system and look for leaks around the cylinder bores or sleeves.
Good luck,
Bob Grunau
NA-0686 with engine removed.