[Mailman] Reactivated

gunnellj tds.net gunnellj at tds.net
Sun Jan 6 20:22:20 MST 2013

I don't think I've ever really been off the list, but I have not been
really active in a while.

Some of you may be aware of my "Tales of 3 MGs" articles in AUTO RESTORER
magazine and are probably wondering what happened. The answer is two
things. Last June I developed A-fib and had to deal with that heart
condition. In October I was shocked (literally) and things are fine so far.

The second problem is that the magazine publisher got in a financial crunch
about midyear and stopped paying for articles. They always treated me fine
and I had no big problem with their temporary switch to old stories and
reader submissions and just this week I've been informed that everything is
back on track for 2013. So, i'm assuming the MG series will pick up where
it left off.

The idea behind the series of stories is the restoration of three T Series
cars in three different ways: frame up, rolling restoration and hot rod.
The '52 TD is all apart and we're having minor panel fit issues after
rebuilding the wood body framing. The TF was supposed to be "just fixed up"
without disassembly, but I found out the rear lateral wood support is just
about gone, so we are going to have to do at least a "body lift." Should be
interesting to see if we can fix it without total "lift off." As for the
hot rod, my son is working part-time at the shop now and that's going to be
his project. The low-bucks hot rod is getting pricier than planned as well.
It was $1800 to repair the rotted frame and $3,300 for a built Ford V8-60.
The chassis will be re-assembled first. Then we have all the front sheet
metal and a cowl section, doors, rear fenders and a gas tank. The body tub
disintegrated when the car was stripped.

In September I went to Bonneville and crewed for a car backed by Fox Valley
Technical College in Apleton, Wis. Now I have "Salt Fever" and I'm thinking
of finishing the hot rod with a "Bonneville" look. I don't think i really
want to spend the money to build a car you could actually race there, but
it would be fun to take it to Utah and drive it around on the Salt Flats.
What do you think? Any ideas will be appreciated.

I also have my '57 MG Magnette apart and we have a Daimler SP250 in the
shop that we're doing for a customer. About a month or so ago, Jay Leno got
an SP250. I had a chance to talk to him today about the car and put him on
the "Dart" guru John Carey in Ipswich, Mass. and to the SP250 newsletter
done by Laurence Jones in England. The two cars are actually in about the
same state of restoration right now, but I think Leno will soon be out in
front of us. We're moving slow so our customer can keep things on a budget.

Well, I'm glad to be back on the list. i had some specific questions, but
John Seim already answered them.
--

"Gunner"

John Gunnell
PO Box 87
Iola, WI 54945
Ph: 715-445-4262
Cell: 715-281-5925

LIVIN' THE DREAM

Please visit Gunner's Great Garage

Restoration Shop - Automotive Book Shop - Art Gallery

E6110 Fuhs Rd, Manawa, WI 54949

Cell: 715-281-5925 (anytime)

 Take A Slide Show Tour of the Shop at  www.gunnersgreatgarage.com

Check my blog Gunner's Garage at www.oldcarsweekly.com

Publications and Websites I Contribute To: Old Cars Weekly, Old Cars
Restoration Guide, For Vettes Only, Amos Auto Enthusiast Weekly (digital),
Auto Enthusiast (print),  Towing & Recovery Footnotes, Auto Restorer,
Vintage Truck, Vette Vues, Free Riders Press, Second Chance Garage, Garage
Style, Ol Skool Rodz, Car Kulture Deluxe, Gunner's Great Garage News
(blog), Gunner's Garage (blog), Super Chevy, Muscle Car Review, Smoke
Signals, Pontiac Registry (Website), Classic Motorsports, Gearhead News,
Keith Lasrsen Show Newstalk 1110 / WBLT Radio  Charlotte, N.C., Muzzy
Broadcasting System's Legends of Country B-104.9 Stevens Point WI &
Occasional Others.