[Land-speed] TIRE GROWTH

Ed Van Scoy ed at vetteracing.com
Thu Aug 4 21:32:52 MDT 2016

BUT....... It's a great question. Is there any tribal knowledge here? For example, my largest rear tires (Goodyear 28-4.5 x 15) have only about 1-2 inches of clearance to the inner fenderwells (on the side, top is fine). I've used them at El Mirage with no apparent problem.... I've run them at Bonneville in 2013 but due to poor salt was never able to make 5 miles and had to pull the chute at best speed of 238. I couldn't tell if the tires hit the inner wheel well because the turn-out re-packed the wheel wells. Any guesses how much a tire might "grow" at 240 or above?
Ed