[Land-speed] Transmissions...

James Tone gmc6power at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 23 13:18:51 MST 2014

As we also race a 1/2 mile dirt car we are very familiar with these
transmissions. IMCA does not require a scattershield with these only if you
run one of the other "trick" transmissions with an external button clutch.
Brinns have an available aluminum bell housing that allows a 10" starter ring
gear and a starter which mounts on the back next to the trans. You connect
your hydraulic clutch pedal to the trans and then put it in low gear an start
applying pressure to the pedal. This starts applying the fluid to the internal
clutch so can move in the pits and then on to the track. Once you are  moving
you can accelerate yo about 15-20 mph take your foot off the clutch pedal
going into nuetral then shift the lever in to hi or 1to1 and take off. You can
not accelerate hard in low because the gears are cut much thinner than stock.

We run a Mitchell Bullet trans in our car It is an aluminum Saginaw 3 speed
with no first, a cut down 2nd and a Quarter Master button clutch. We run a
special scattershield that resists flexing like your standard Lakewood hydro
form. Our setup acts like a typical car so in an emergency we get going
quicker than the guys with Brinn Bert Falcon type trans's. It weighs the same
and our starter ring gear looks like a conastoga wheel and nothing can bolt to
it like a torque converter.

Unless your a hi gear only this would not work for LSR. Any hard acceleration
on low gear is not recommended........good luck JD.
Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 22, 2014, at 2:49 PM, Larry Mayfield <drmayf at mayfco.com> wrote:
>
> Just sitting here watching 'bama work WCU over in prep for the Iron Bowl
> next week. Kinda boring so I thought I would ask a question for the list
and
> any others who might want to chime in.  I am guessing that just about every
> transmission made in the recent past, say 20 years or so, has been used on
> the salt. I was parsing one of the catalogs and I see Brinn, Bert, and
> Falcon 2 speed transmission used in sprint cars. Clutch is internal to the
> case of the trans and a fly wheel may or may not be used or even needed.
So