[Land-speed] Transmissions...

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Sat Nov 22 15:49:53 MST 2014

Just sitting here watching 'bama work WCU over in prep for the Iron Bowl
next week. Kinda boring so I thought I would ask a question for the list and
any others who might want to chime in.  I am guessing that just about every
transmission made in the recent past, say 20 years or so, has been used on
the salt. I was parsing one of the catalogs and I see Brinn, Bert, and
Falcon 2 speed transmission used in sprint cars. Clutch is internal to the
case of the trans and a fly wheel may or may not be used or even needed.  So
I a m naturally curious, have any of those gear boxes been used as far as
anyone knows? Was wondering about the multi plate and disk clutch pack in
the trans case: that work ok?  Since the trans is similar to an auto trans,
is a blanket or turtle shell needed for ballistic protection?  I see that
the Bert can be had with a very short case arrangement also. Of course they
are nearly free.. NOT!  Since no flywheel mounted clutch is used, does tech
accept that a scatter shield is not needed or what?

Anyway, was just curious: any experience out there?

Oh, on the subject of odd questions, one associate mentioned that he had
seen a Sunbeam Tiger running on the salt recently. No, not the glass bodied
Series 3 Alpine a=that is dressed like a BelAir chevy circa 1957, but a real
Tiger. Any help on this one and if so, a contact or email?