[Land-speed] leathers - - was Land Speed Apps...

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Mon Feb 3 07:36:05 MST 2014

We've used Z Leathers for many years, and they do make SCTA-approved leather
sits.  It's not a "standard" item, so don't just buy a Z suit and expect it to
pass.  They didn't make the SCTA-okay leathers a bunch of years ago -- until I
asked them to make a set or two for us.  To the best of my knowledge they
still will make 'em for land speed racers per the rule's requirements.

Better still, the cost of a full suit that's measured and fit precisely to you
is great (there's a measuring guide on their website and it asks you (and a
helper) to measure yourself in more than 20 parts of the body).  And you can
mix and match colors and have whatever die-cuts you might want.  I had my
first name (JON) put on the left breast of my suit - in my own penmanship.
Send them a sheet that you have signed and they'll do it.  The cost isn't much
more, if any, than off-the-rack outfits.

Jon a/k/a SSS

On Feb 3, 2014, at 9:14 AM, Mike Brakel wrote:

>From what I can see on the Top Gear Leathers website it looks as though
their leathers have elastic stretch panels in them.  The rules are pretty
clear, SCTA 7.C.2 "Limited perforations and cloth or non-cloth panels are
allowed in the arm pit and at the back of the knee".  If you want to use Top
Gear Leathers ask them if the make Bonneville approved leathers.

There are leather manufacturers that make Bonneville approved leathers.  Two
that come to mind are Bates and Vanson.  Good quality leathers are worth
every cent and will last you a life time.

Mike Brakel
80 Theory
LTA:  MPS-G 3000/4  225.300 MPH
SCTA:  MPS-G 1650  218.023 MPH