[Land-speed] Deduex of Dumb Assed Question 5, 171... Canopies...

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Fri Sep 27 10:43:51 MDT 2013

No we haven't.  Everybody's in a bad mood this week.  Two meets cancelled,
back to work or school, Washington is in an uproar, too much rain or not
enough and I just passed a kidney stone and am hungover from the hooch they
gave me in the emergency room.
Larry - First off you have to be able to get out of the car in a short time.
This gets verified at tech inspection regardless of how the car is built.
Second you need to decide if your car is a closed or open car.  Different
streamlining rules apply to each with respect to the windshield.
The 5.D.4 category rules (modified sports) say you can chop the windshield
or remove it.  They don't say anything about making it taller; but they do
say you can streamline "ahead of and including the cowl"
IMHO a legitimate structural component of a roll cage is not streamlining.
There is a bit of gray area there though.
If yours is an "open car" then  it seems to me that you can make the
windscreen as tall as you want up to the top of the cage as long as you can
reasonably pass the "get out of it" test.
If your car is a closed car then the top over the driver has to be pretty
much stock to meet the no streamlining rule.  Maybe I missed something that
defines or limits the thing you have to open to get out other than dealing
with obvious door safety issues common in coupes and sedans.  Bottom line is
that whatever you do has to pass a common sense test. ("Is this safe") where
the appeal process goes through the Chief inspector (Section 1.A).
Best to do your politicking before the event on these things.  That usually
starts with detailed images.
Ed