[Land-speed] A question for the list.

Bryan Savage b.a.savage at cal.net
Fri Apr 5 16:25:58 MDT 2013

Here is a nice off the wall question for the list.

A few recent engines have 13 to 1 compression ratios and burn 87 octane
unleaded gasolinewithout pinging or detonation. One is also
turbocharged(possiable memory failure here.)
They have what I believe is called direct or solid injection where the
fuel is sprayed into the combustion chamber not the intake port.
The only way I can see this working is if the fuel is ignited by the
spark plug as it is sprayed into the combustion chamber. This would
prevent combustionable fuel from reaching End Gas areas of the
combustion chamber where it can detonate.

So my question is, what have I got screwed up????  Anything ---
everything????

Thanks folks,
Bryan Savage