[Land-speed] Dzus Fastener Question

Jim Dincau jdincau at qnet.com
Fri Jun 8 15:05:40 MDT 2012

     Don't bother with countersinking the glass panel. On my street roadster
tonneau I used a piloted counter bore with a diameter to clear the shoulder
of the Dzus button hold down plate. I made a tool out of 1/16 steel with
three #30 holes in it. One for the button hole and two for the rivet holes
in the plate. Locate where you want the button just as if it was a metal
panel, drill a #30 hole, attach the tool with a cleco and drill the two
rivet holes, remove the tool and open up the center hole with the counter
bore. This leaves a nice clean non feather edged hole in the glass. It helps
to orient the rivet holes in the plate at 90 degrees to the rivets holding
the Dzus spring to avoid interference.
Jim Dincau