[Land-speed] IN Car Communications

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Thu Jan 19 12:22:56 MST 2012

Skip (and the rest of youse guys):

The way I connect to the internet at the salt IS NOT wi-fi -- just for the
sake of this discussion.  Rather it uses a bit of hardware and software and
connects to the internet through the stream of information on the cell phone
network (basically, everywhere depending on who your carriers is.  Verizon
covers 100% of the salt flats).

I know that we've had zero issues with it losing signal when driving down the
road, for instance.  Yes, it loses signal when we go through a tunnel, but not
through railroad overpasses or highway overheads, etc.  There aren't too many
tunnels on the salt flats surface, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The data rate is fairly good -- in the range of 750kb - 1Mb/second.  Photos
are generally the largest files I send and receive - and they take a handful
of seconds, not minutes.  So - you could expect to have relatively fast
response time for sending data.

The thingie that connects to the internet is about thumb-size and plugs into a
USB port.  At the beginning of a session we must go through a startup routine,
but that's 20 seconds or so, and it stays hooked up for as long as 12 hours at
a time.

As for conversations with a driver -- well, I've never used Skype, but that's
about the thing that Mayf wants, right -- two way voice communications and
also some data.  That'd all go through the little internet thingie, for sure.
I could show it to you -- but will have to get a photo of it and post it
someplace other than here.  Let me know if you're interested in seeing the
"aircard", as we call it.

Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim

On Jan 19, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Skip Higginbotham wrote:

> How about using the WIFI that Jon (I think) has in the salt plan for next
year and communicate that way. I have a fairly good (20 db) WIFI antenna on my
RV that has about a 3 mile range with little or no interference. It is really
useful at RV parks with limited/no connectivity. I wonder how it would work if
positioned mid course. Could transmit data, video and voice?