[Land-speed] dumb Question # 4856 - Wrist pins

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Wed Nov 23 14:26:27 MST 2011

Hey, all youse guys..thanks for the replies!  While some disparage
Summit, I used them as reference because they sell a lot of aftermarket
maker's parts.  I surfed for piston wrist pins and wrist pins and found
tons of them in all shapes and sizes.  I did find a couple made by Ross
that were side by side comparable, just different diameters. The price
was exactly the same.  Naturally the slightly smaller diameter is a tad
lighter, not enough to make a difference in my opinion. Big was 96
grams, smaller was 94 grams.

I will say that the notion of the 0.927 RM diameter being most prevalent
is true. By a long way. Still, every maker does have the Ford diameter
and they run at virtually the same price.   So I don't think
availability is the full reason.  And the pins no matter the diameter
come in an almost bewildering array of lengths and materials and
retention methods.

I asked the original question, not because I have rods with the ford pin
diameter and whether or not I should go to the larger ones, but because
I have a set of rods that have that diameter off the shelf.  Since they
came that way, I was curious as to why since ford pistons come with teh
0.912 diameter o begin with.  I suppose the very small difference in
load bearing area in the aluminum piston might be a reason, but,  I
dunno.  Since I need to have the pistons custom made anyway, I will just
have them made to fit the 0.927 diameter and will also have the pison
maker supply the pins as well. That way, they should fit and I know the
retaining system will work.

Happy Turkey Day!

mayf

drmayf