[Land-speed] Belly pan minimum height or clearance

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 17:58:24 MST 2011

Glen - I greatly appreciate your interest in my question.
I wasn't considering a high stance on a modified roadster although we have
at least one such doing pretty well in current competition.  I understand
the line of thinking behind that approach.
But it's not for me.  Primary reason is the one you cited, safety.  I
watched Doug earn his spin pin in the Gold-digger 20 years ago.  That's
something I don't need..
 Personally I believe the sharp nose modified roadster is the stablest most
spin resistant configuration of all the body styles in landspeed racing.  I
want to go as low as I can.  I plan a suspension on the rear; but it'll be a
rough ride with limited travel.  My fat posterior has plenty of cushioning;
so that doesn't worry me.
I do like Tom Bryant's suggestion about the sacrificial skirt in the front.
I wonder how far around the body a skirt has to go to be effective.  The
doorslammer guys just put air dams on the front under the bumper area.  But
the modified roadster has a wedge shape with the 27T body sides at the
bottom blending into parallel with the centerline somewhere around the rear
side of the door location.  Need some research here.
I have a feeling that a sacrificial shirt made of roughly 3/16 ABS plastic
sheet would have the right combination of strength and ability to wear
without shattering.
Tom - You or anyone else have specific experience to share?
Thanks, everyone for taking the time to share your ideas with me.....Ed
Weldon