[Land-speed] Bad vibes

Jim Dincau jdincau at qnet.com
Mon May 30 21:55:01 MDT 2011

Don,
     I run a 3 liter Chevy II 4 banger with a Fontana head. I have had good
luck (2 Speedweeks and 8  El Mirage meets) by following the instructions for
my 10,000 RPM 2 disc clutch. That is to use stock genuine Chevrolet flex
plate bolts with no washers and red locktite. I have no locating dowel in
the crank flange and am amazed that it works. Understand that this is with a
super light aluminum flywheel not a heavy steel dyno wheel. I also have a
flat crank, if you are using a V-8 crank your mileage may vary.
    I agree that a four can have strange harmonics. I have noticed some
fretting between the camshaft OD and the inside of it's keyed drive flange
and the timing pointer seems to be touching the crank hub in two places on
the OD. This is with about 1/16" static clearance on the pointer. I could
not find a harmonic damper that would clear the Fontana gear drive and cover
so I have not been running one.
      Another problem I had was starter drive sprags, I destroyed a heavy
duty Summit starter the first time I tried to start it. Tilton told me to
use their pro stock starter and a 16 volt battery. A four with 14/1
compression and 31 degrees in the mag is hard on the starter. Against Don
Zig's advice I also put a mechanical start retard in the mag base (he
doesn't like them), it worked but I suspect it made the timing scatter a
little. We have switched to an MSD ignition with start retard (and a rev
limiter), next month at El Mirage I will find out if it helps. I hope this
helps you.
Jim Dincau