[Land-speed] pilot bearing

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 19:29:51 MST 2011

Jim - Ball bearing if you have the right mounting space and shield on the
outer side (to hold in the grease)and bronze oilite bushing in that order.
Needle bearings don't like misalignment and aren't too happy with high
speeds either.  Also the drawn cup Torrington needle bearings have to be
installed exactly to their specs with the right kind of press tool (see
their catalog). Also they need a full hardness inner race (58Rc+) or a
ground shaft to the same hardness.   A conventional roller bearing (the kind
with cylindrical rollers and thick ground inner and outer races will take
heavier loads than a ball bearing but are somewhat less tolerant of
misalignment.  They come in the same dimensions as ball bearings; but are
hard to find and pricey.
Ed Weldon