[Land-speed] Couple of questions.

Kirkwood saltfever at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 17:45:31 MST 2011

Me thinks since he wants to go slower and we are talking about de-stroking
the SBF crank. AFAIK, there are no forgings available anywhere for strokes
less than 3". (Unless you offset grind a 3" forging to get somewhere near
the 2.950" range).  Since forging dies are so costly, they have been
produced only for stroked sizes. My guess is Mayf is wanting to get down
near the 2.4" range so he can make an "F" motor out of his SBF. That crank
can only be turned (not forged)  out of billet stock. Due to the
proliferation of good NC lathes and crank millers, costs have held steady in
the past few years. Mayf you can plan for a number around $2,000 - plus
$600, minus $200.

Should be interesting. Good luck and keep us in the loop. :-)

From: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat at pahrump.com>

The indexing on my new one was off a bit and currently getting fixed. I am
told that virtually all crank forgings now come from China.