[Land-speed] NON LSR

Bryan Savage b.a.savage at wildblue.net
Sun Jan 9 13:45:39 MST 2011

Here's something to forget....

If you ever want to drive on a super high traction road, go to
Scotty's Castle in Death Valley.
I asked the ranger about the strange looking blacktop on the
road to Scotty's and he said that when they paved the road they
brought in tar and made the asphalt at the site. There wasn't any
suitable gravel so they used the lava/cinders from the volcanic
cones in that area. He said it had shown almost no viable wear
since it was paved in the '30's. Early in the morning it had a bit
of a sparkle to because it was a sandy glass stuff. I played around
with my VW. Almost couldn't lock up the wheels with the brakes
and could not get the back end to break loose. I got the inside rear
light enough to spin the rear wheel and scare myself but not a trace
of  a slide.
An interesting experience.

Bryan