[Land-speed] Charles Nearburg

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Thu Jan 6 16:43:40 MST 2011

On Jan 6, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Bryan Savage wrote:

Hi folks,

While reading Howard Nafzger's comments about the car he designed and built,
"How did Charles hook up so much horsepower with two-wheel drive?b

A very interesting question. Before he did it, I couldn't believe you could
put enough
power down on the salt to exceed 400MPH.

All I can think of is that the car has outstanding aero so it didn't have to
put down
a lot of power...??

As it was an FIA run, it wasn't a tail wind.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan, it's apparent that the 400 mph barrier can be broken with two wheel
drive, witness the four cars that did it this past Shootout (I am pretty sure
the Nish car is 2WD - I know the others are).  The Speed Demon sure looks like
it's very aerodynamically advanced, but the Kenny Hoover/Amir Rosenbaum
"Spectre" doesn't look all that super-duper.  It did the number, though, as
did Nish. So - take it from there.  The Ack Attack bike 'liner is rear wheel
only drive, isn't it?  And therefore it'd go into a similar category as a
two-wheel driven 4 wheeler.

Best wishes for the new year.

Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim