[Land-speed] N Z link

Chris R Harris yesford at clear.net.nz
Wed Feb 23 13:55:33 MST 2011

To everyone on our list, many thanks for your inquiry and sympathy toward
those caught up in this recent disaster that occurred in New Zealand's 2nd
largest city of Christchurch.
We are totally unaffected due to our distance but are kept up to date with
ongoing TV reports. Best I can say is, all authorities & organisations
involved are doing an outstanding job, but nonetheless we are all
traumatised by the event. These quakes are a way of life for all living on
the so-called Pacific 'ring of fire' which includes your own California
coast.

Here is a link to fairly graphic, recent pictures.
 http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/02/earthquake-in-new-zealand/100013/Many thanks once again.Harris Family,Hawke's Bay.New Zealand.> Chris - I really feel for you guys.  Life just turned into a big mess fora lot of good people down there.> From what I read and see Christchurch experienced about the same hit thatwe took in 1989 where I live in California in the Richter 6.9 1989 LomaPrieta quake.  Our hillside house was 5 miles from the epicenter and 7 milesfrom the hypocenter underground.  The shock waves came up an angle, liftedmy 1200 pound milling machine off the floor and put everything else in myshop on the floor a meter deep.  My welding tanks fell against the driver'sdoor of my 32 and made a mess out of it.  Other than that the cars and shopwere a mess but very little was broken. The house was hit hard and tookabout $50K damage.  Took 3 years to finish the fixing,the first  year and ahalf were spent waiting for the local county planning department to lift theban on rebui