[Land-speed] Kirkhams are at it again ...

Dave Dahlgren dahlgren536 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 20:05:52 MST 2011

A precision casting would make a bunch more sense once you get past 2
pieces. machine time is big money unless you have nothing better to do. What
is left out of most video deals like this is the fact when you machine away
that much material the material jumps all over the place. There is no way
you can remove over 80% of the 'billet' and go straight to finished sizes as
the video suggests. I have turned over 100 lbs into 15 for various projects
and generaly you machine down to 0.100 to go and forget about working on it
for a week or so while the material works out it's issues with stress. I
don't have an oven to stress relieve but time is your friend lacking one. it
does not just go 'boing' but creeps over time until it settles to a new
shape that you did not have in mind. If it was machined directly to finished
size it is actually junk all hype set aside. The 'forging' as well lookes a
lot like rolled plate and there is a real big difference. Generally you
forge in a die with a very large steam hammer or similar and have yet to see
one that is a rectangle with sawn ends. The 'Kirkham University' was equally
amusing Solid Works Surfcam and a Hass VMC is the staple of every mom and
pop job shop around here and has very little to do with high end stuff I
doubt you could get a job in a small shop if not familiar with them. Oh well
as usual things no one wants to hear from me but a realist rather than a
believer in hype.
My take your milage may vary. Dave