[Land-speed] Worlds Fastest Sunbeam - The Rest of the Story, Day 3, Thursday, Part A

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun Sep 19 10:13:08 MDT 2010

  Thursday in Two Parts...

The day dawned bright and clear.  Up early for our usual breakfast and
headed out.  Allowed to get on the salt at 7 am, no camping on the salt
ever. Get the car uncovered, and the awning up.   Checked the tire
pressures: I run 60 in the Goodyear Front Runners and 70 in the Goodyear
Front Runner LSR tires.  I do that because the car will kind of hinge
around the front end even in a long slide with the rear tires making the
long excursions sideways. So I want those suckers to have no grip
sideways at all to prevent rolling them off the rims and then the rims
digging into the salt and pole vaulting the car up and over. No, no, I
do not like that scenario at all.  Check the oil and it is right on the
mark and even though it has an aborted dyno run and the, ahem, fun run
of yesterday on it, it looks like I just poured it in.  dale touches
everything under the hood to make sure it was all ok, Funbeam Chuck also
adds a pair of eyes looking to make sure it is all satisfactory.  We put
more fuel into the car. We actual don't really use much Around a gallon
and a half for a full boogie run through the 5 mile, charge the battery
for an hour or so while we fiddle around with stuff, and putting gear
into the truck.  I take three tires with the truck just in case one gets
farkled and needs one to make it back to the pit.  Tool bag just in
case, lager ice chest for IC ice. Normal cooler for drinks for the crew,
and a host of other stuff.  When the driver is ready,  we sally forth.
Dale does the push truck driving duties, Chuck is riding shotgun and the
crew chief is in the rear seat.  They push me the 3 or so miles to the
start line where we get into an interminably slow line. Glacial speed is
an overstatement. Seems like just about every other car or bike has some
kind of down course farkle. Was the same yesterday. Had a T-bird lose a
glass window... wow, what a chore that is. every piece of glass has to
be found and picked up.  While waiting inline we always get lots of folk
who stop by and chat and take pictures. I had a wonderful conversation
with a high school girl and boy. They stopped by and chatted for almost
30 minutes. What a delight!  We keep pushing to the line with our
comment of "time for the hourly move 10 feet forward"....  But, we
finally get to the location we chose to start gearing up.   I put on the
suit pants and my under booty shoes and then start the laptop.  Turn on
the battery power to the car, start the A9P and tweecer. Start the
laptop and crap, not talking to the tweecer.  Shut everything down and
reboot it all.  had to do that a couple of times to get it to data
logging. Seems to be working satisfactorily. I had earlier loaded the
spark changes I made into the tweecer so hopefully that would be ok.
Filled the IC tank with another 40 pounds of ice, closed it's lid and
Dale put the tonneau on.  I finish gearing up and we put me into the
car, or is that we put the car around me?   But this time things are
different! My left hand is not trapped by that big steering wheel and I
can move my legs around to the pedals! Life is good, lol... Get to the
line and Dale says to the starter, he is gonna make a full run this
time.  Monty, the starter comes over tries to pull some more on the
straps which is futile because when Dale pulls on them, they are TIGHT.
I can almost breathe. I do a lot of deep breathing, because honestly, I
don't know how far down range I get before I do actually breathe.  This
time the starter say light it up, and when I nod, he points down range.
I snick it into the AODs middle position on the gear shift, which is
supposed to be 1,2,3 without OD.  I set off and after a short while that
sucker shifts into OD! I mash the pedal a bit and it down shifts into
what is I hope 3rd. Then I move the shift lever to a position which is
hopefully the right gear. Nothing happens. well, it shouldn't because
it is in third gear. Knot headed me, I decide to change the gear shift
position once again.  Well, lemme tell ya, from third to second and the
engine RPM buzzed to about 7200 rpm and I nearly head a heart attack,
lol. My first thought was that it the motor was merely injured before,
it was fatally so this time.

see part B