[Land-speed] Worlds Fastest Sunbeam - The Rest of the Story, Day 3, Wednesday, Part A

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun Sep 19 08:46:02 MDT 2010

  Wednesday, in two parts
First day of real race activity.  As usual, we did our breakfast thing
at the red Garter and headed out. Had to be on the salt and at
registration by 8 am for the driver's meeting. They had moved it up an
hour or two to get more racing it.  Fair number of folk at the meeting.
The rules of racing etiquette were explained to all of us after the
blessing and special mentions they always do. WOS uses the long course
for 150 mph club cars, who go to the 3 mile markers, and for the rest of
us who may or may not get to the 5 mile markers.  If there is trouble,
turn right to the inside of the course and they send response vehicles
to help. Normal is turn left.  There are graded turn offs about every
quarter mile along the way.  there is a shorter course where the 130 mph
club car race and it is limited to , I believe 1 mile.  We don't run on
it, lol.  But, lots of folk do. This is basically you street car with
basic safety equipment. I believe the cars need to be licensed.  We
drove the long course as we always do, noting any particular ugly spots,
like loose salt or big ruts made by the high power cars of Speed Week.
Ruts are not much fun. Back to the pits. We go by the fuel trailer and
get our 16 gallon barrel filled. Yikes, it gets more expensive every
year! But, the gasoline we use is the very best I have ever seen for a
turbo or blown car.  We Use ERC's A8C gasoline and I will use nothing
else, ever, lol. Back to the pit.... fuel the car and lock down the deck
lid and put in all the small braces from the spoiler to the rear
valence.  Funbeam Chuck helped immensely with all of that.  Decided to
reload the tune into the A9P and tweecer again. Same freaking issues as
Tuesday. Does not seem to want to work. But finally we get it to upload
and data log. Grab the gear and go. Now folks, lemme tell you what is
required for the driver when a front engined blown car over 175 mph is
involved.  The driver is required to have an SFI 3.2A/20 fire suit. Now
that is about 1/2 inches of fire resistant materials and hotter than
hell. Pant ans tunic. Must have arm restraints sewn into the sleevers of
the jacket. Must have Sfi 3.2A/15 funny car boots.  I forget what the
Sfi is for the gloves but they are funny car gloves as well. A SA2005
helmet is required.  I am a fat old guy and with all of that on, I look
like a blue Michelin Man, lol.  A hot sweaty Michelin Man....  We start
putting al off that on when we get to about car 6 or 7 in line on our
side of the starting line. They run 150 cars on one side and salt cars
on the other.

see part B