[Land-speed] Worlds Fastest Sunbeam - The Rest of the Story, Day 1, Monday

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun Sep 19 07:35:05 MDT 2010

   Monday; This was drive to the salt day. We had already loaded the big
red trailer with all the bits and pieces and all the fuel tanks were
filled.  So, we got up at 3 am, yes, you read that right, 3 am, and
headed out. We went through the Las Vegas area on I-15 and that was the
reason for the early start.  Monday was a working day in LV and traffic
is absolutely murder. Throw in a construction site or two and of course
it just gets miserable.  But we hit I-5 at 5 am and we went through
without a hitch.  We buzzed along without incident and made it to Ash
Springs, on US 93, where we always gas up again (just topping off the
big tanks). grab a cuppa and a egg/ham/cheese/muffin before we continue.
Of course the obligatory pee break (wife is always with me, lol).  No
problems and we cruised up high way 318 between Ash Springs and Lund,
NV. This is the road where the Silver State Classic is held and it is
being run today, Sunday, the 19 th. The beginning of Sr 318 is also
where the ET highway (SR 375) launches and runs up through Nevada next
to the Area 51 location and through Rachel. Did that road once, but, not
likely to do it again, lol.  Stopped in Ely for a cold drink and more
fuel. Still no issues. Made it to Wendover on US 93A about 7 1/2 total
hours. Drove straight out to the salt flat and into the pits and parked.
Set up the ground cloth, put up the metal framework for the awning. Wes
Potter, one of my most favorite people in the world stopped by and
mentioned that they were doing some inspections on the cars. We decided
to take advantage of that and beat the crowd, next day.  Got the car's
logbook out and put it into the truck, hooked up the 8 foot long tow bar
I have been using for the last 5 years and off we went to tech!  I
usually make a large swoopy turn with that long tow bar and, ahem,
thought I had done so this time. Turns out, no, no I didn't.  {ulled
into the inspection line and the car seems to be in an odd position
behind the truck.  Didn't think a thing about it until one of my other
friends, Tom Shannon mentioned in passing that I might need to take a
look at the tow bar. AGHHHHHH!  It was bent at a 90 degree angle!  We
tried to straighten it out, but twas a no go. Off to a god start for
this meet...NOT!    Put the wife, oh hell, her name is Cathy, into the
car and let her guide it back to the pit, sans inspection. Just as we
reached the pit, the bar failed entirely and she aimed the car to miss
the truck. Well, done, spouse!  The loss of the tow bar was and is not a
major issue because we also have a push bar on the car and a push bumper
on the truck. It was getting late in the day by then, so we put the
cover on the car and locked the trailer. Headed into Wendover to a bath
and some pretty fair food at the Peppermill. I like Asian and I like
theirs best.  Watch a bit of news and into bed.

Tuesday is next.