[Land-speed] Piston burning prevention --- WATER!

Bryan Savage b.a.savage at wildblue.net
Wed Sep 15 18:39:11 MDT 2010

I don't understand why most Bonneville racers are afraid of water injection.

Sir Harry Ricardo (look him up on the Internet) proved, BACK IN THE 1930's,
that water injection will  prevent detonation at very high manifold
pressures.

A mix of 50% fuel and 50% water allowed the highest boost and power. Mayf's
web site has information about the chemistry involved and it proves that
most
of the ideas I've heard about water injection are just flat WRONG! The
Hydrogen
and the Oxygen in the water become involved in the combustion process.

I ran 22-23 psi manifold pressure with no problems. I used three quarts
of water
and 5 quarts ERC E8 gas per run.

When the waste gate stuck closed and the boost went to 28 psi,
detonation didn't
start until Howard got into 6th gear.
And that was on a return run with every thing hot.
Back then we ran down and back first thing in the morning. You couldn't lean
on the engine as hard as you can today because it had to be a three pass
motor,
not a two pass motor.

The turbo setup was as crude as they come. The carb mounted on the turbo
with
the turbo blowing into a simple log manifold.
But it worked.

Bryan