[Land-speed] Oiling Questions

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun Sep 12 09:48:46 MDT 2010

  Have been looking forward to  improving the Sunbeam race car.  Been
thinking out loud on several  issues of dry sump systems and the
pressure side oiling .   I like the dry sumps use in the sunbeam because
I can keep the engine lower down between the frame rails.  One of the
items that has surfaced in my head is the use of an external oil
pressure regulator system. Huh? you say.  Most of the oil pumps we use
have an internal pressure relief system  but unfortunately it is right
at the beginning of the pressure input. The oil is bypassed around and
around inside the pump and it gets hot. The bypass should be at the end
of the oiling system path to assure that each and every thing that needs
oil, gets oil.  Plus, the oil would not be chased around and around
inside the pump. This should work exactly like the pressure regulator on
an EFI car with a bypass return system.  The regulator should be
adjustable. I have a large Aeromotive bypass regulator on my fuel system
and that sucker might be able to do the trick.  Have any of you ever
heard of using an external oil regulator bypass like this before?  I
have not, but then I am still a noob at this.

The next is some sort of scavenge system. I know the corvette now has a
dry sump system which means that it has to have some sort of scavenging
system to return oil to the tank.  Anybody know how that is done on that
car? Point me to a URL where I can read about it?  Would a vane type
pump serve as a scavenge return pump?  I would also like to hook up the
scavenge pump to the valve covers, on each side front and rear, and
maybe the lifter valley as well ll in support of getting oil from the
pan as well.

I would love to hear thoughts on a system or issues like I mention.
Either on list or off.

headed up to Bendover in the morning around 4 am....ugh...