[Land-speed] Fuel Injector testing

Kirkwood saltfever at comcast.net
Sun May 9 21:35:44 MDT 2010

Great question, Mayf and thanks for asking it. I have been wondering about
it myself for a while. So thinking out loud I have a couple of questions.

Isn't viscosity more important than molecular weight? Viscosity is more
about material properties than MW. Or do you think kinetic energy will
effect the response time of the pintel and is therefore more important?

It has been easy to find the viscosity of various fuels except for gasoline!
What do you use for the viscosity of gas?

In looking at various flash points, Stoddard Solvent is 100F (not as high as
diesel but with a viscosity which I ''assume'' may be closer to gas). So if
you cranked up the good old AC in the shop to get into the 70-80F range
would you have some safety factor? Or is this a too hazardous approach? Auto
ignition of both gas and Stoddard are similar (in the mid 400F range). I
realize the goal is a non-flammable liquid period!  Another thought may be
some of these water-based aviation hydraulic fluids. Water based is being
required in aviation but again, I don't know the viscosity. For a gas
substitute, what are the material properties you want as close as possible?