[Land-speed] Real Racing --no rant

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 13:02:26 MST 2010

Sparky --
It's hard for me to imagine how torsional vibration harmonics could create
this problem although I'll quickly defer to the experienced wisdom of guys
like Dave Dahlgren or his ilk. (I like that word, "ilk".  Sort of fits
Dave.)
We usually don't worry about lateral vibrations although theoretically that
could be an issue if the wrong kind of unbalances are present or clearances
in the main bearings are two high.
A few routine questions here.......
Are you happy with all the possible misalignments and two plane balance of
the flexplate-torque converter assembly and the transmission to block
interface?
How about all the oil flow passageways in the back half of the motor?
End clearance on the crank thrust bearing?
Anything out of the ordinary with your main bearing clearances?
What oil temperatures do you reach at the end of a good run and what kind of
oil do you use?
Any possibility of weakness or out of the ordinary block distortion around
the rear main structure under high power outputs or even from basic
machining, checkable at assembly?
Ed Weldon