[Land-speed] Soy based plastic?

Wester Potter wester6935 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 08:32:33 MST 2010

http://ethanolproducer.com/article.jsp?article_id=6433

To continue his allegiance to ethanol, Hajek has begun production of a new
flex-fuel race car, a 2011 Mustang. This time Hajek is going further with
biobased products. Along with the use of E85, the car will be made with
bioplastic side panels provided by Ford. The hood and fenders are all
soy-based plastic. The advantage to the soy plastic body panels is the weight.
The soy is lighter and not petroleum-based plastic. This stuff is renewable,
more earth friendly, he explains.

Ask any Utah license plate collector about the soybean based plastic license
plates and goats.  That plate is one of the most difficult to collect and one
reason is goats seemed to like to eat them.  Not that there were that many
goats running around loose in Utah in 1944 ... !  The plates were a soy based
plastic with a paper printed license pasted onto the backing. They were not
that durable and I remember how many of them cracked when someone "parked by
ear."

I'm laughing because I had to call Jim Wright to confirm the year they used
the soy plastic plates.  He wasn't even a twinkle in his father's eye in
1944.

Wes