[Land-speed] Bonneville 1954

Wester Potter wester6935 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 13 10:47:10 MST 2010

There may have been 60 cars entered that year at Speed Week, all but about ten
from Southern California.

If you spot a skinny kid with hair, glasses, wearing tan Clark's Desert Boots
in any of these photos, that's very possibly me.

We drove out to the salt in my friend's black, '49 Merc Convertible.  I
stepped in a puddle of clear fuel by accident.  By the time we drove into
Wendover and I had walked across the gravel parking lot to the Stateline for
dinner, I had a permanent gravel sole on those shoes.  The fuel made the gum
rubber soles like rubber cement.

I can positively identify people in one shot and have a very good idea on
another.

> Car 888
> http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/0174ec223ee8de4a_large

> http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/c074053b56cefaad_large  		The red coupe
behind the liner is Don West's car, Mary West's ex.  Don finally qualified for
the 2 Club some 33 years and 4 or 5 cars, belly tank, Studebaker, Corvair,
Firebird that went upside down, and the Firebird he qualified in in the late
1980's.  His son Marty made the 2 Club in the same car after the Classic
category was opened.

> http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/e5620b948c71e6c1_large
> http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/f582387cea4b81d8_large

> http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/eabf3c0e7a5f39b2_large  		That looks like
Mary West's back on the far right of this shot.