[Land-speed] Good detail Rollie Free photo in Life photo archives

John Szalay jpszalay01 at insightbb.com
Fri Mar 5 08:29:25 MST 2010

> What's going on in this picture, I can't figure it out, duh.
> -Aron-

Havent figured it out myself, there are several more of the same activity,
what ever it is.
the more I look at those photos, I'm thinking perhaps it's a crude low
volume salt brine pumping device
and the wheels/tires with the ramps are just a means of centering or
leveling the pipe.

There are MANY mislabeled or misplace photos in the achive, and I.m
wondering if this may be a set of those
that the photographer took WHILE he was covering the LSR attempt..

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=thunderbolt+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthunderbolt%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1&imgurl=09208e01fe620f9d

Here it looks like a pipe going through the center of the wheels.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=thunderbolt+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthunderbolt%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1&imgurl=f708db1789f15e8f

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=thunderbolt+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthunderbolt%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1&imgurl=5cad0a3e9de262c2

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=thunderbolt+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthunderbolt%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1&imgurl=a20f4b9a73575bf6

and I'm pretty sure that its got something to do with this device ,

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=thunderbolt+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthunderbolt%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1&imgurl=978335d44b998eae