[Land-speed] A Left Handed Rules Question...

BWANA343 at aol.com BWANA343 at aol.com
Sun Jun 27 09:56:16 MDT 2010

I hereby designate/nominate you as the official Devil's
Advocate-in-Residence for all of LSR. LOL
My feelings on this are based on personal experience in the Loring  Timing
Association, and discussions with other LSR venue management  people with
similar exposure.
Basically, we get questions from lots of people who own these types of cars
 that are capable of in excess of the usual 135 mph limitation for  "street
cars," as in mainly non caged, non fire extinguishment equipped, and all
the other stuff we mandate for Safety.
New Corvette Coupe guys say GM says the integral frame passenger surround
is safe well over our 135, why can't they be allowed higher speeds? Many of
the  newer serious Euro and Asian Sports cars are also similarly equipped,
with the  same queries from their owners.
The way it is, we want what we know works, not something   factory
installed that meets the manufacturers legal standards, coupled  with disclaimers
about driving over limits that do the CYA for them. (cover your  A**)
I'd like to have any and every Maserarribaginni Tri-Turbo Benzomatic Mach
11 run our Runway, but they practically aren't installing a seriously ugly
invasive full cage in an already cramped passenger compartment.
On the bright side, in the near future there will be cars competing with
removable cage components. A few companies are fabricating connections that
replicate the strength of welded joints, mostly for that most intrusive door
 bar. We will evaluate the connections available, comment on our
recommendations,  and hopefully create a Safe solution that is first function and
second,  form.
I suggest anybody on this list that is also on other gear head sites to
bring it up on them and discuss what their experiences are. A basic disclaimer
 here, as I'm part of the LTA. We do not endorse any product available now,
we  only encourage every individual to research this relatively new
procedure, as  it's all about Hot Rodding, and improving our Sport and increasing
our Safety.
Bob W, The LTA Guy
ps, Are you left handed ?