[Land-speed] Chassis Dyno Operations

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Sat Jun 12 23:08:09 MDT 2010

Well, this wasn't an exercise to try and find out why a dyno I have
didn't work (I don't have one).  I was asking why we do testing the way
it is done. What is the rationale for doing it that way?  You see, one
of the things I don't understand is that there are a zillion rear end
ratis and yet we always use high gear in the gear box. The dyno doesn't
have a clue as to what is riding on it.  So why does it matter what gear
is used. It is simply an inertial mass that is accelerated by the
applied torque at the tire / roller interface.   So the questions were
geared to educating me as to why things are done the way they are.  Why
technical reasons are there for doing a high gear pull when the final
drive  for all the cars that go on a chassis dyno are different.  I
guess, it is simply..Because that's the way we've always done it.

mayf