[Land-speed] Chassis Dyno Operations

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Sat Jun 12 08:46:00 MDT 2010

More fun dumb questions from me.  Why do we use high gear during a
chassis dyno pull?  The dyno does not know what gear the car is in, does
it?  Is there a general limit on the acceleration rate of the rollers?
If high gear (1:1 in the gear box) is better than a lower gear, then
would overdrive be better that the 1:1 gear?  Is there some final drive
ratio that is best? Or is top speed the consideration?   And why does
shifting during the pull matter?   Are there other considerations in how
the pull is accomplished? Isn't the desire to get tuning data for the
enitre rpm range? Or should it be for reliability at peak rpm?

anyhoo, just fun stuff before breakfast...

comments? thoughts? flames?