[Land-speed] Bloodhound

John Burk joyseydevil at comcast.net
Sat Jul 24 15:32:11 MDT 2010

Mayf
Found the ac by hanging a wooden model from various points and blew air at
it . As far as I know aerodynamic center and center of pressure are
synonymous . The wing drag adds to stability and reduces acceleration a lot
less . Equivalent tail ballast would have eliminated directional stability .
Unless lift is a problem ballast hurts by reducing acceleration while the
car is power limited . For high hp cars that are always traction limited
ballast helps by reduces aero drag as a % of thrust leaving more for
acceleration . LSR is drag racing , acceleration = speed . Front slip , I
think is like under steer in a corner , front lateral slip ends as soon as
the throttle closes , rear later slip doesn't . The nose touches when it
tips 5 deg and I'm not worried about it digging in but staying down could
have been a problem without the wings were added . Old Joe Devine finally
gave up on the 6 ft long nose panels and Joe Timney finished them . I agree
, I like aluminum . I over-optimistically entered this year but it'll be
finish for next year . Thanks for the questions .
John