[Land-speed] Old Bakersfield photos

Skip Higginbotham saltrat at pahrump.com
Mon Jan 25 16:06:16 MST 2010

Hi Bob,
I didn't know a Pete Dean nor the roadster "Mother's Cookies" I am
sorry to say. Most all of my drag racing was centered around the
central valley of California. I didn't venture much farther south
than San Fernando. Also, I didn't start racing until '56. We ran a
'49 Ford with a 392 Chry in it, a '31 A coupe with a Ford in it, the
'29A roadster with a blown 450 Chry in it and a '27 T roadster on a
Scottie Fenn chassis and the blown Chry from '56 to '62.
My home track was Famoso and most of my wins and all national records
we set were set there or Great Bend, Ks. First win was A/Gas coupe at
Inyokern in '56.

I ran the little green #44 streamliner during '65-'66 although I hit
the wrong keys and said '63-'64 earlier. The blown Chry was in Bob
Herda's car in '63 and I crewed on the Sanchez Stude
#400 in '61 and '62 with Clark Cagle.
Skip