[Land-speed] Copper head gaskets

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Tue Jan 19 07:49:15 MST 2010

Wow, this is getting interesting, lol. I now have a half dozen emails of
some sort or another that indicate  I must possibly have been doing
something stupidly wrong! From surface finishes, to torque, to thread
lube, to phase of the moon I guess.  By the way folks, I didn't ask for
help here, I just made two comments on what my experiences with Cometic
MLS gaskets and  SCE ICS Titan head gaskets have been.  I am happy with
my setup. YMMV! Go pick on some one else please!  And I am trying to
understand the old technology vs new technology gimmick. If it works, it
works, lol. Age of the idea or technique, if it works, doesn't matter!

Rick, yes, I use ARP thread lubricant on everything in the motor: head
studs, main bearings, rods. I torque in small steps letting the system
rest a bit between each round. I come back later and retorque.  When I
am at the final stage of torque I use a very small hammer to ping the
fastner.. Why? Threads have siction (sticky friction) even when lubed up
and small pinging   releases the friction. Then I retorque again. I do
this on the final torque until nothing changes and that actually takes a
few rounds or retorque.   After a heat cycle I retorque.  So what have I
missed? Again, I did no task for help here. I only commented on my
experiences.

So get a life folk!

mayf