[Land-speed] King Pin Bearings

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Fri Feb 26 20:43:49 MST 2010

Skip -- Check out Torrington drawn cup needle bearings.  There are a lot of
issues to consider there, including brinelling; but first go look at their
engineering data and then let's talk.  You can harden and grind kingpins to
an exact diametral fit (like a few tenths); but picking the right alloy and
hardness requires a pretty close look at the loadings.  You don't want the
kingpins so hard that they are subject to stress concentrations and fatigue.
I suspect that 8620 with a heavy case hardening may be the answer.  But
don't take my answer "to the bank" quite yet.
Ed Weldon