[Land-speed] Fuel Lines

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 11:57:30 MDT 2009

There is a phenomena most technical folks are not familiar with.  It is
electrostatic charge build-up in nonmetallic piping carrying hydrocarbon
fuels and similar insulating liquids.  We had to address this issue in some
of our semiconductor fabrication equipment at Applied Materials.  Some of
our tests showed the ability of high flow rates through relatively small
teflon lined piping runs of a few feet length to create discharges that
would blow tiny pin holes in the pipe.
My recollection of the actual details of what I read on the subject is
fuzzy; so I'm not going to recommend anything here.  A bit of Google
searching using keywords like the phrase "electrostatic sparks non metallic
fuel piping" would be informative for anyone interested in pursuing the
subject.
IIRC the first observations of this problem came sometime in the last years
of WWII, I think in England, where someone decided there were some good
reasons to layout the refueling pipelines at a military airfield with
newfangled plastic pipes for carrying avgas.  I think the results were a bit
more spectacular than the builders expected.
Ed Weldon